This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It took me a long time to realize that going to the gym wasn't really my forte (at least, not yet). If I could get back all the cash I wasted on gym memberships I didn't/wouldn't use, I'd have a considerable wad of cash in my pocket. And I'm not much of a "let's get outside and go for walks" kind of girl (especially with the biting wind outside). That leaves me with essentially one option: working out at home. Until we get rid of a whole lot of stuff, I will not be acquiring either (a) an elliptical machine or (b) a treadmill. Okay, that leaves one "at-home" option: workout DVDs.

This is my current workout DVD collection (sans the two I picked up a couple of nights back and one or two that are elsewhere):



At this moment, I own approximately 20 workout DVDs, and can't keep myself from wanting more as I mentioned in my last post (and yes, you will notice I alphabetized them. Ah, the wonders of OCD).

My collection started off innocently enough - one DVD from Weight Watchers that had three workouts, "Weight Watchers: Get in Shape". For a long time, that's all there was, just one sad, lonely disc among the many DVDs we own.

Over the past two or so years, I added a couple more videos to mix it up (under the delusion that I would just start working out, but that's another story) - two hula based videos and one Bollywood dance style video; still, it stayed fairly even around five discs. I'll admit I had one thing correct: variety is key to keeping at it, but I never let myself get into the routine.

Since beginning down this weight loss path again, however, that has changed. I don't find it unusual now to wake up at 5:30 in the morning, toss on my workout clothes, grab water, coffee, and head out to the family room to pop on a DVD. It didn't take me long to realize, though, I would quickly get bored with that first DVD, and upon reviewing the others knew I needed some more cardio based workouts (and, call me crazy, but I love interval training), so I picked up another one at the next Weight Watchers meeting. From there, I picked up a couple online, bought a few at the store, received a couple as gifts, and before you know it I'm working on a shelf full of videos.

Side note: Collage Video hasn't helped much either. Check them out, they have the most comprehensive collection of workout DVDs I've seen for sale, and great reviews! I don't think about buying a new DVD without first consulting their site.

It's been a while since I popped on that first DVD (the WW one) at 5:30 in the morning, and many sweat-dripping workout sessions. This morning I figured I'd go back to it. A few minutes into the warm-up on the moderate intensity workout and I realized that it wasn't as difficult as I remembered. If memory serves me the last time I did that particular workout I sweated like a pig, but as the workout progressed I felt pretty comfortable. Go figure. For giggles, I switched over to the last two circuits of the high intensity workout (which I tried once before and it kicked my butt) before I cooled down. Yeah, it was more difficult, but I was keeping up, and finally sweating! Guess the next time I use this one, I'll do both the moderate intensity and the high intensity workout.

Believe it or not, but I'm actually getting more fit! I was incredulous when I read that workouts that seemed hard at first would get easier, but there's my proof. If I can't see it, I can feel it, and that is what really matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: