This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Monday, August 1, 2011

That's the Life

So, that show I mentioned last week? It opened on Saturday. Oh, hey, guess what else showed up just in time for my Saturday performance. Gosh, Aunt Flo, it's so nice to see you.

You know what I forgot? Just how difficult it is to have a normal eating schedule while in performance mode. My normal dinner time is somewhere around 7 or 8 p.m. Guess when a show normally starts? Heh.

Before a show, I start getting ready around 3:30 for an eight o'clock go. That's because I'm crazy.

What a lot of non-performers don't get is how much prep goes into an actual performance. Sure, the curtain goes up at eight, which gives the audience plenty of time for dinner and cocktails beforehand. But based on pre-performance rituals, some actors start prepping as early as noon (for an eight o'clock go). Again, that's because us actors are completely wackadoodle.

With a six o'clock call time, my weirdo, crazy need to have hair and make-up mostly done before leaving for the theatre, adding in driving time, somehow food doesn't enter into the equation. Okay, so I'll grab a sandwich before heading into the theatre, then spend four, five or six hours prepping, performing and whatevering. How long do you think that sandwich keeps me going? By the time the performance is over and I've spent another half an hour or hour or so driving home, I'm ravenous. It's eleven o'clock, I need to go to bed to wake up and start getting ready at 9:30 the next morning for a 2 p.m. show, and all I want to do is EAT. With the addition of a perfectly timed visit by Aunt Flo, all I want to eat is cr*p.

Funny how when you're hungry, tired and stopping at the 24-hr drugstore to buy food, your choices aren't phenomenal. Mine went something along these lines: Salsa verde Doritos, Steak and Cheese chimichanga, and Dark Chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups. Ugh. Hey, I glanced at the Healthy Choice meals - right next to the frakking chimichangas. Ah well, must remember to bring healthy snacks with me next week.

Other than that, the show was awesome. It's a great group of people to work with who really enjoy what it is they do which makes it an incredible experience. I'm proud of myself for being able to learn the music, blocking, choreagraphy, etc. so quickly and that people can't tell I only joined the cast three days before opening night.

Well, here's to a relaxing week where I can get back to my normal eating habits, and rest a bit before going back into performance mode.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: