This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Friday, May 21, 2010

T.G.I.Friday's (or Not)

Last night, the hubby and I along with our best friend, Cassie, went over to T.G.I. Friday's for dinner. In my usual fashion, I hopped onto their website beforehand to see what I wanted to order. Game off! Although Friday's claims that their nutritional information is readily available, what I found was a link directing me back to their menu where I found nothing!!

Before heading out to dinner, I took the opportunity to complete the conveniently available complaint form from their website. I wish I'd saved a copy, but basically said: Dear Friday's, you'd think as the times are changing and people are becoming more aware of what they eat, you would take responsibility and make something as simple as basic nutritional information readily available on your website. No love, me. Okay, it was longer than that, but that's the gist.

Frustrated, but still wanting to enjoy an evening out, we headed on out.

Knowing as I do that they wouldn't just hand it to me, I asked for a copy of the nutritional menu in addition to their normal menu. Guess what? I discovered why Friday's makes it so impossible to find. Did you know that around 80% of T.G.I.Friday's menu is over 1000 calories? Oh, yeah, you read that right. Around 80% of their menu is over 1000 calories. Holy carp!

I was in total disbelief and continued to stare at that menu, willing it to have more healthy selections. It just got worse and worse as I continued to stare and stare. Dear lord in heaven, is it any wonder that people are getting heavier and heavier?

Let's take a guess as to what an average group of four people orders at Friday's:


  1. Appetizer: Between 1400 and 2500 calories. Divide by four, so 350 - 625 calories per person just for the appetizer.

  2. Entree: From 350 (for their lowest cal entree) to 2000 calories per person.

  3. Drinks: Assume the average person consumes one alcholic beverage over the course of a meal, so 100 - 300 calories (figuring on the low side here).

  4. Dessert: Anywhere from 400 - 1000 calories.


Hmm, totalling that up the average person eats, conservatively, 350 calories for an appetizer, 1000 for entree (because that's the Friday's average), 200 for the drink, and 400 for the dessert. That's 1950 calories for the typical meal!!! Excuse me! What?

It's official, T.G.I.Friday's doesn't give a damn about people's health or offering healthy choices.

This morning, I received a response to yesterday's complaint. I wasn't expecting much, possibly some reassurance that they do have healthy choices on their menu (ha!), but what I got was a form letter. A form letter that was obviously cut and pasted from different responses that had nothing to do with what I complained about. See for yourself:

Dear Suzanne:

Thank you for notifying Guest Relations of your unsatisfactory experience at T.G.I. Friday's. We realize the importance of your time and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

As healthy eating continues to diversify, T.G.I. Friday’s restaurants understand that people have different nutritional desires. Our menu offers a wide variety of cravable items which are prepared by our staff using our proprietary recipes. Although we have great procedures in place, any deviation from our recipe would alter nutritional information. Deviation could simply mean the restaurant substituted one of the ingredients from a different or local vendor.

Currently, I do not have the recipe or ingredient statements available for many of our menu items. Nutritional information we provide is currently available on our website menu and our dining menu. Throughout the menu item selections you will find items which have approximately 10g FAT AND 500 CALORIES, in addition to our section known as “Better For You” which will provided you with information to "Low Carb" or “Low Fat” - items which have approximately 10g FAT AND 500 CALORIES.

T.G.I. Friday’s guests, like yourself, expect our high standard of great taste, innovation, and value. Please continue to visit www.fridays.com as we expand our offerings even more.

Your concern has been shared with our management team. We hope to provide the best possible service during your next visit. Please contact Guest Relations at 800-FRIDAY’S, option 1 for any additional comments.

Kind regards.

XXXXX
Guest Relations


I think it's time to call Friday's Guest Relations and explain to them that they might need to actually read complaints before responding. Tell me, when I tell you your website sucks and I can't find basic information, why would you then direct me to your website???

Urgh, I'm so upset with the whole restaurant industry. Seriously, does no one care about keeping their customers alive anymore? Obviously not, or you'd have meal choices that aren't going to give one a freaking coronary!

I don't know why I expected any kind of decent response. Corporations are just out to make money, they don't give a damn about us or anyone. But I do know this, I'm going to do my damndest to make sure T.G.I.Friday's knows just how upset I am, for as long as it takes for them to make some kind of change.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: