This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Operation: Clean Up My Fridge

Rita from The Giggly Bits posted a picture of her amazingly organized refrigerator last week and, from first glance, the little OCD part of my brain was soooo jealous (yeah, I'm a labels facing the same way, can't sleep if they aren't kind-of-girl). It got me to thinking about my oft neglected refrigerator and how it's been too messy for too long!

A stumbling block in my quest to cook at home more often has been an inability to see what was on those refrigerator shelves. How can you figure out tomorrow night's dinner if you can't figure out what you already have?!? And I'm a champion of buying too much food with the intention of cooking every night. And forget about leftovers (except in rare cases); the only leftovers that are eaten in my house and the intended leftovers (i.e. my work lunches for the next three days).

Inspired by Rita's pictures, I resolved to clean up my fridge. Last night, after several days of planning and waiting for the garbage guys to empty our super small trash can, I set my plan into motion. Out came every piece of food, carton of whatever, plastic container of whatnot, and all was reviewed: expiration dates were checked, milk gingerly examined, leftovers hucked, and vegetables assessed. If it was questionable it was gone. And one and a half bags of trash later here's the result:







I cannot tell you how happy I am looking at this. Yeah, the lighting isn't the greatest, but I know just how clean it is. (and please don't judge me by our god awful linoleum)

And for your tasting pleasure, one of my new favorite recipes (and it's Meatless), Moroccan Couscous Salad:




Oh. My. God. This is too delicious. Had to stop myself from eating the whole batch that's how delicious this was. Yummmmmmmmy.

Moroccan Couscous Salad (adapted from WW Whole Wheat Couscous Salad Recipe)
POINTS® Value: 4
Preparation Time: 15-25 min
Cooking Time: 2 min

Ingredients
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup Couscous, uncooked
15 oz Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium Green Onions, chopped finely
1 1/2 cups Broccoli
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/3 cup Tomato Juice
1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar

Instructions
1. Combine 1/4 tsp salt, olive oil and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in couscous and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
3. Uncover couscous, fluff with a fork and spoon into a serving bowl. Allow couscous to cool to room temperature.
4. When cool, add beans, scallion and broccoli to couscous. Toss gently but until fully combined.
5. In a small bowl, combine red pepper flakes, cumin, remaining salt and tomato juice; stir well. Stir in vinegar and a drop or two of olive oil. Pour over couscous salad and toss gently..

Yields approximately 4 1-cup servings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: