This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

For the longest time, I refused to watch the Biggest Loser. My argument was, and still is to some extent, that it sets up unrealistic expectations for larger people and losing weight. Seriously, who has time to work out six hours a day?!?! And these people work out longer than that. Seriously. They're at this secluded ranch in Southern California with no access to the internet, phones, and the only tv they might watch is what they brought with 'em. Yeah, I'd be working out six to ten hours a day too!

I decided it would be a laugh to watch this season all the way through. The first episode was exactly what I expected; I only made it through by keeping myself occupied folding laundry and knitting. I told the hubby that I didn't think I could watch another two hours of that crud, but still watched the second episode. It wasn't much better. Somehow, between Week Two and Week Three I got hooked. WTF?!?! I realized I cared about these people's lives and their journeys to lose weight. (Sure, they're living in a controlled environment where their only job is to lose weight and get fit, but I know I've secretly longed for that kind of opportunity.)

The show still has a lot of really bad moments. I hate the really bad ad placements by Jillian and Bob. Allison couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. The schloopy, droopy, "let's deal with your issues" segment are really annoying (because they always read so f'ing fake on tv). And I can't stand how the show is edited to make villains of some people, and show others as perfect angels (when they're really just as big of jerks).

Thing is, I've always been a sucker for makeover shows, and isn't Biggest Loser kind of the ultimate in makeover shows?

Now, my real issue is the show's weight loss expectations, which are totally ridiculous. Yes, I'd love to lose four pounds a week, but I also know that's not a healthy way or speed at which to lose weight, except in Doctor-supervised situations (guess what the Biggest Loser is??). What about the people who don't realize that? The people who expect to lose four - ten pounds a week? That's where the danger really lies.

At the same time, the show is quite motivational. Not in the "oh my god, I can work out ten hours a day too" kind of way either. It's motivational in that you watch these people who were/are morbidly obese embracing exercise and becoming athletes/athletic. The attitude is "it's possible". It inspires people to get up and get moving and start watching what they eat, which is something a lot of us don't know how to do.

Last night's episode the contestants went to Texas to bring the show's message to the masses. I've gotta admit there's this snarky part of me that thinks this is super, super stupid: "Let's bring the message to everyone," oooooo! "We're somehow gonna convince a whole bunch of people who refuse to admit what's staring them in the face that they need to get healthy!", "O. M. G., Texas has five of the top ten cities with the highest rates of obesity". On the other hand, reaching just one person with that message is a success. Via Dallas area radio stations, contestants invited the public to run/walk a 5K, and got quite a few people out of their homes and going on what appeared to be a very, very cold day.

Running a 5K is something I aspire to. There's this little place inside me, and maybe you, that's always watched athletes with a bit of jealousy, dreaming of being able to just run a mile. But running was always one of those "unobtainable" things. In school, when I couldn't do it, I'd say I wasn't built for running. Now, I know that was an excuse, and if I put my mind to it, I can do it.

There it is, in a nutshell, the Biggest Loser motivates me, and no one is more shocked than I. And I can't wait for makeover week next week!!!! Woo.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: