This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Back from Vacation

Spent the last week down in Southern California celebrating my first anniversary with my wonderful husband and our friend Courtney's birthday. The group of us are fairly fanatic Disney freaks and so we spent five wonderful days in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I worried for the better part of a week wondering what I would do to keep on plan, and the other part of the week lamented the fact that I would likely gain weight because I would be unable to actually stick to a plan. Without actually knowing where and when we would be eating, I resigned myself to the inevitable and threw the towel in. Fortunately, my new eating habits apparently managed to stick, and although we were snacking all day long, I was mostly able to confine my snacks to smaller and healthier foods that would fill me up and keep me going throughout the day, and make better choices when we sat down to eat. I was rewarded this morning when I stepped on the scale to find that although I had lost no weight, I also hadn't gained any weight.

The one thing I'll say about Disney and dieting is that you're bound to do one heck of a lot of walking. Our daily average on walking was likely somewhere around three miles and at the height I'd say it was more along the lines of six miles. Around and around we went, from attraction to attraction.

On the fourth day we visited the parks all that walking, however, brought one of the worst issues I face with my weight problem to light. Three days of walking, waiting, walking, waiting, walking took a major toll on my lower back. Laughing made my back hurt, walking made my back hurt, standing made my back hurt, and with a sad sigh I had to rent a wheelchair in order to enjoy the last days of our trip. I was mortified, and although I joined in the joke that it was the best fastpass one could get in Disneyland, it embarrassed me to no end that my friends and husband had to push me and my rather large butt around.

Overall, I was pleased with myself and my progress, but I know I can do better. There are ways to go on vacation and stick to a plan, I know it. I let the "it's not fair"'s convince me that I could just let go and do whatever. Fortunately, my subconscious wasn't convinced and refused to allow me to overindulge like I thought I desired. So, that’s a success as far as I’m concerned: my mind knows what I really want and can keep me on track for a short while when I’m bound and determined to drive myself to ruin.

Goals for this week:

  1. Start back on writing down my food plan.
  2. Read my response cards twice a day.
  3. Walk a little bit every day.
  4. Try to take the stairs at work at least twice a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: