This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Friday, October 16, 2009

A trip to the City

Last night, the hubby and I along with a group of friends made our way to San Francisco to go see Rent at the Curran Theatre. It was pretty exciting because several of the Original Broadway Cast Members were touring with the show including the main two leads - Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp. We all had a great time, but I'll keep my gushing to a minimum.

Over the past couple of years I've learned to really enjoy going to the City - especially once I abandoned the idea of driving there. Just about anywhere you want to go is easily accessible by public transportation and walking, you don't have to pay for parking, and you're actually getting exercise. Go fig.

Normally, when going to the theatre we splurge for orchestra seating, but since we were with a group of friends this time it was balcony seating all the way. Now, the Curran Theatre is an older building so elevators are not the norm, hence we got to walk up and down the stairs (70-80 by my estimate) several times. If this had happened before I decided I needed to lose weight, it would have left me griping about why we pay for the price-y tickets, but I got to thinking - as I traversed the stairs for the second or third time - that it was pretty good exercise. (GO ME!) Spending less money and getting exercise - hmmmmm, this might be something I ponder more often.

Immediately after our drive up to the BART station in Millbrae we planned on stopping at In n' Out Burger for dinner before hopping on to the train. Unfortunately, traffic didn't seem to agree with that plan. It was an immediate trek to the train station with just enough time to add cash to our tickets and get going. I managed to keep my appetite in check all the way through the train ride, show, stage door waiting, autograph signing, walk to the station, and train ride back home without snacking. (WOOHOO!!!) Although it was another story entirely once we reached the car - light headed, punchy and badly needing something to eat, so off to In n' Out Burger we went. I finally got my hamburger of ohtoomanycaloriesandtoomuchfat and ordered a french fry. Yep, there's the problem in waiting that long to eat - the fries sounded delicious and I just had to have them. Fortunately my eyes were bigger than my stomach and my burger was really tasty - that basket of french fries lost their appeal by the time my burger was gone, and I threw out more than 3/4's of the basket. (WOOT!)

Progress on My Goals for this week:

  1. Start back on writing down my food plan. - 3 for 3 days so far.
  2. Read my response cards twice a day. - 2 for 3 on this one.
  3. Walk a little bit every day. - 3 for 3 so far. Yay San Francisco!
  4. Try to take the stairs at work at least twice a day. - 2 for 3 on this one, but I've started jotting down when I take the stairs in my food notebook. Yay for accountability.
Notes for myself:
I need to put my response cards in a more accessible place. When I have to hunt through my excessively large purse and/or backpack for them I'm less likely to keep up with them. Must start taking them out of my purse at the beginning of the day and placing them within hand's reach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: