This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

My World Revolves Around Food

Last night my husband wanted pizza for dinner. Pizza. Ah, pizza, how much I enjoy eating thee. Your warm cheesy goodness, your greasy toppings, your crispy crusts all calling to me: "Suzanne, Suzanne, you know you want to eat me, you'll feel like crap later, but for now indulge in my doughy deliciousness". Pizza is one of *those* foods.

Doesn't help that Aunt Flo is a day or two around the corner, peeking her head out to say "Let's Eat!!!"

Fortunately, being one of those people that likes to plan what they're eating ahead of time I had a game plan. It's all part of my neverending quest to function in the real world while losing weight - develop a plan so you can be part of the food fun. Anyhow, I allotted myself two pieces of pizza based on what I'd already had to eat and planned on a big salad as part of my dinner too.

Reality check here: Dave, my hubby, typically orders an extra large pizza for the two of us. In the past, I'd usually eat about a quarter of the pizza, leave the rest to him of which he'd eat about half, then the remainder wound up in the fridge as leftovers. Oh, and he doesn't eat crusts, so I eat those too. After all, you can't waste food, right?

So, Dave - being the absolute doll he is - puts my two slices on a plate and hands it to me. Yes, just two slices and I couldn't help but think how tiny those two slices looked. Still, I started out with the best of intentions to eat just those two slices and then go get my salad. If you're thinking that those intentions flew right out the door once I finished eating those two slices then you would be absolutely correct. I was able to keep it to a third piece of pizza by eating slowly, but there were also all those crusts that my husband won't eat.

It is not a crime to leave food uneaten.

Looking back, I realize my big mistake was not having the salad ready to go while I was busy nomming away. If it *had* been there, instead of theoretically waiting for me to put it together in the fridge, the more likely outcome is dinner would have ended with my yummy spring field greens salad.

Little victories: I didn't pig out on pizza. I only had one more piece than I planned. Next time I will do better.

In an effort to keep moving forward on this new regime, I'm setting some goals for myself and will try to keep up with them on a weekly basis.

This Week's Goals:

  1. Take the stairs at work more often with a target of three or four times each day.
  2. Walk at lunch or breaktime at least three times this week.
  3. Take hubby out for a walk at home at least twice this week.

Today's To-Do List:

  1. Practice Arias for MONC Competition on Sunday.
  2. Fix any notes not correct in my American aria.
  3. Clean out refrigerator, chop up any unused veggies and toss them in the crockpot to make vegetable stock. Get the junk that's been piling up out of the kitchen.
  4. Figure out what we're having for dinner on Monday night when we have friends coming over.
  5. Get to the Mall and buy top and/or new outfit for competition on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: