This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Past, present and future

Six months ago, I was a chocolate/candy addict. The giant jar of candy sabotage my boss keeps outside her office did nothing to resolve my ever-growing problem and not a day went by I wasn't reaching in multiple times to have "just one piece". I knew there was a problem when I went to the jar for a little snack "to reward myself" because I ate a healthy lunch, discovered it was empty, and got angry! Because someone hadn't refilled the jar so I couldn't have a piece of candy.

Around that same time, I started reading a wonderful blog, The Next Hundred Pounds by Cindy Sadler. She's an opera singer who lost a sizeable amount of weight. Reading through entries one by one, I was impressed with her fabulous attitude towards losing weight, and kept seeing her refer to one of the most important tools in her weight loss arsenal: The Beck Diet Solution. I was intrigued and hied to Barnes & Noble to get a copy.

Beck has helped me in so many ways I wouldn't know where to start, but I can say that because of Beck that jar of candy outside my boss' office is no longer a problem. I don't fear walking past it because I don't want anything out of it, and I acknowledge that victory every time. Working through the book brought me to the realization that food doesn't control me, and I can control my food environment. Really, I can't recommend Beck enough.

I owe much to Cindy (even if I don't know her) because her story finally convinced me I *could* lose weight -and- keep it off. Thank you Cindy.

Since the event of weblogging, it never occured to me it might help in my weight loss efforts and I might find other people that motivated me. Hello! Dense! Writing about my challenges and reading other people's challenge is incredibly cathartic. Go fig.

Previously, I mentioned that I didn't make any weight-related New Year's Resolutions, but I did make a couple of healthy eating/living resolutions. My goals for the year:

- Make a day or two a week vegetarian days.
- Keep up with the exercise.
- Work through my craft projects and stash.

That's it. Pretty simple. Just those three resolutions.

To the end of reducing my meat intake I've stocked up on meatless soy protein products. Today, I bring you the Boca Burger All American Flame Grilled Meatless Burger:



Oh. My. God. Sooooo good. Cook this baby on the stovetop in a little olive oil or in the microwave, pop it on top of a Sandwich thin (my faves are Orowheat and Earthgrains Multi-grain sandwich thins), top with a couple slices of onion, dill pickle chips, a healthy dose of salad (I like spinach), and ketchup. I can't tell the difference. Seriously. And the grand total: 4 Points. Yes, you heard me right - just 4 points.

I think I can do this. So far good start to the New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: