This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Monday, January 4, 2010

The idea of basing your weight loss goals on some flimsy resolution you set for the New Year is probably not the best of plans. Like so many others before me, I’ve made many a broad, sweeping statement about what I’d like to do in the New Year, generally something along the lines of “I don’t wanna be fat next year”. Great. Wonderful. Then, next year I’d find myself ten pounds heavier. Woops.

I avoided making generalized weight loss related resolutions this year. Yes, I have a goal weight in mind, but no specific time line. Frankly, I set goals for myself all the time, and don’t follow through on 75% of them. Rings a bit of setting myself up for failure, eh?

On the other hand, I find the Weight Watchers goal setting technique to be pretty awesome. It’s all about setting positive, realistic goals and stating how and when you plan to achieve them. We discussed it in depth at last week’s meeting and came up with possible goals we would like to set for ourselves. Although I don’t plan on making weight related resolutions, I did resolve to set a mini-goal or two and see if it helps or hinders.

Today was my first day back at the office after more than a week and a half away from work. I don’t know about anyone else, but I find it much easier to stay on plan when I’m working. Call me crazy, but I feel better prepared when I have to sit at my desk all day long.

That brings me to the holiday re-cap.

Food wise, I stayed on plan 90% of the holiday season. And by plan, I mean staying within my calorie ranges. My protein to carb to fat ratios were all way out of whack, and my sugar high was, well, high. My good eating habits flew right out the window, and I started the season with a bang. Hello, heartburn! There was the inevitable baking frenzy (chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps, chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin bread, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies. And did I mention chocolate chip cookies?). My mother-in-law made pumpkin pie. We ended the season with an epic party at our place and the alcohol, it did flow.

Exercise was my salvation. Yeah, I’m shocked too. I upped my exercise while I was out of work to make up for all the crud I shoved into the piehole. Discovered the joys of Fit TV, the show “Shimmy” (yay DVR!), and just how much belly dance can kick one’s considerable butt. Acquired several new workout DVDs ($7.99 at Costco!), and am looking into creating a monthly rotation so that none go to waste.

I managed to make it to WW meetings on the Wednesday before Christmas and the Wednesday before New Year’s. Actually saw a little success at the scale last week, but think that the weekend’s festivities bumped me back up a couple of pounds. Oh well, back on the wagon, I say.

Well, I’m looking forward to this year and the successes to come. Hope you are too!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: