This blog officially publishes at Singing for a Smaller Me at Wordpress, and is backed up here. In order to comment please follow the link listed above. Thanks!!! Zan.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Sometimes You Screw Up

Screwing Up. Maybe it's intentional, maybe it isn't, but we all do it.

You have to let it go, otherwise it will just keep eating at you. We're human, we screw up, no one can be perfect all the time. That doesn't mean you can't aim for perfection, but don't set yourself up for failure by expecting perfection.

And each slip-up is a learning experience. Figure out what went wrong, and figure out some way that it won't happen again.

How about this anecdote to better illustrate my point:

One of my favorite things are Sour Jacks candies. I looooove them. Normally, I treat myself to a box when we go out to see a movie (and we don't go to them very often), and plan them as an indulgence.
Well, little did I know Target sells them in large, plastic containers.

Last weekend on my once a week trip to Target, I went down the candy aisle searching for my Dark Chocolate Fling bars. Every place I've gone is out of them!!! And this time was no different. Instead of turning around and delivering myself from that dark, decadent haven, I continued onwards. Lo and behold, this plastic container of one of my very favorite things calls to me from the other side of the aisle. And, before you know it, that box of empty calories is in my cart being wheeled away.

I should have told myself "NO", turned my butt around, and put them right back where they belong.

I didn't.

Now, this package of sugary, sinful sweets resides with me. Did I do the smart thing and parcel them out into single serving baggies? Yeah, not so much. Did I hide them somewhere so that I might forget about them? Nope, they went directly to the family room, near the TV so I could eat some while watching my favorite shows. Out of the box.

BAD IDEA.

There are something like eight servings in there. The box has been opened three times and there's - maybe - one serving left. And I had to stop myself from finishing them last night so "they didn't tempt me anymore". GAHHHHH!!!!

What do I do now? Don sack cloth and ashes, flagellate myself for all to see? That would serve no purpose except to reinforce my good/bad relationship with food.

I have to move on and take this lesson away: Sour Jacks are best left as a treat when I go to the movies, they have no place in my home; if I find myself in possession of them at home I can do one of two things: throw them out or put them into single-serving bags and hide them away.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment





Small goals are the key to success or so I've been told. To kick off my weight loss journey I wanted to give myself a visual tool to see how my progress is going. For your viewing pleasure, the ticker for my first goal of losing 20 pounds: